Principal Software Engineer
We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments and businesses realize their greatest potential. Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. We cultivate a culture of inclusion for all employees that respects their individual strengths, views, and experiences. We believe that our differences enable us to be a better team – one that makes better decisions, drives innovation and delivers better business results.
Title and SummaryPrincipal Software EngineerWho is Mastercard
Mastercard is a global technology company in the payments industry. We work to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart and accessible.
Our mission is to connect and power an inclusive, digital economy that benefits everyone, everywhere by making transactions safe, simple, smart, and accessible. Using secure data and networks, partnerships and passion, our innovations and solutions help individuals, financial institutions, governments, and businesses realize their greatest potential.
Our decency quotient, or DQ, drives our culture and everything we do inside and outside of our company. With connections across more than 210 countries and territories, we are building a sustainable world that unlocks priceless possibilities for all.
The Transfer Solutions team was created to establish Mastercard as the frontrunner in the fast-evolving real-time payments space, and to position MasterCard to be able to incubate the development of new payment flows.
The team is responsible for designing, building, and operating the technology that powers Mastercard’s next generation payment applications – Domestic, Cross Border and Bill Payments.
Mastercard seeks to define a world beyond cash. To accelerate this mission, we are committed to building & scaling products & applications that transform payments of any type. Real time payment technology is central to this strategy.
• Do you like to be part of a team that is creating and executing strategic initiatives centered around digital payments?
• Do you look forward to developing and engaging with high performant diverse teams around the globe?
JOB IS FROM: italents.netVIEW• Would you like to be part of a highly visible, strategically important global engineering organization?
What’s it all about and what we expect you to do day to day
• Proven experience of enabling a global team to mature in Lean product management, Lean management and DevOps based modern product engineering practices.
• Helps the team improve and take responsibility for their actions; facilitates/coach the team retrospective/ceremonies. Teaches problem-solving techniques and helps the team continuously improve
• Coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets. Leads by provided coaching and frameworks for backlog definition and grooming
• Maintains the definition of done for multiple teams. Synchronize the cadences across domain teams.
• Leads implementation of practices and learning from active participation in guilds.
• Close collaboration with the product management to keep the backlog healthy, groomed and purged.
• Define and organize the work, outline tenets, analyze data, drive performance improvements, and influence resource allocation for all stages of execution
• Trusted to operate with complete independence and focus on ambiguous areas. Creates the correct sense of urgency for delivery. Identifies and fills gaps between regions, architectures, and organizations. Work sets the example for others to follow. Manages escalations (is escalated to).
• Understands the business strategy and design approaches within product, program or domain with depth to be credible and effective with teams they work with. Can competently and independently represent team’s services.
• Manages across the portfolio assessing business/technical trade-offs while working across organizations for ways to align teams, technologies (i.e. the infrastructure used to build/deploy/operate services), and organizations into approaches that optimize organizational structures and operating mechanisms. Adept at building consensus and leading resolution of contentious issues.
• Communicates complex issue and decision in clear and concise summaries to all types of audiences. Communications are instructional (i.e. provide insights and lessons learned). Drive mindful discussion with business and technical stakeholders that lead to timely decisions
• Drives simplification in complex architectures/integrations to enable speed of delivery within a program area. Knows when additional technical guidance is required (i.e. from principal engineers and SMEs). May be considered an expert in a particular technology, product, or domain.
• Business outcome may be defined, program/product/technical strategy is not. Embraces ambiguity and confusion as an opportunity to step up and drive clarity of execution across the board.
• Decomposes complex processes into simple straight forward solutions. Force multiplier - educates the larger TPM and engineering community on best practices within (organization, location, program). Contributions are noteworthy and recognized across Mastercard (i.e. bottleneck reduction, engineer efficiency, product quality)
• May work directly with external to the organization or external to Mastercard technology providers that support our implementation plans and backlogs roadmaps identifying opportunities to be faster, better and cheaper.
• Influence dependent organizations backlogs roadmaps by contributing to their backlog grooming and goal setting exercises
• Active participant in the community sharing your Mastercard program management knowledge within your organization and more broadly presenting at both internal and external events
• Plays active role in mentoring and recruiting others
All About You and What you need to bring:
• Expert with agile deliver using Lean Product management, Lean Management and DevOps practices.
• Drive, influence and coach for transformational change in the evolution of our end to end product delivery using agile development methodology
• Drive clarity and work with complete independence where business and/or strategy is not defined
• Comprehensive understanding of the business domain, the systems, and the products in your space, and understand their accountabilities, boundaries, limitations, scale factors
• Understand the reasons behind architectural decisions
• Use technical judgment to challenge and validate assumptions and enlist Sr. engineering support to vet architecture as required
• Run and manage agile process – grooming, planning, prioritization and retrospectives – for multiple teams.
• Understand technical program management and engineering best practices and apply best practices to delivery using a number of agile and blended approaches, as well effectively coordinating the implementations across using very different approaches
• Recognize prior failure patterns and help teams avoid repeating these mistakes
• Experienced in agile and modern SDLC practices (Scrum/Kanban/Continuous Delivery/DevOps/Quality engineering) and the delivery situations they are used for
• Has skills to conduct product demos and co-ordinate with product owners to drive product acceptance signoffs
• Have software engineering or product management experience and background
Corporate Security Responsibility
All activities involving access to Mastercard assets, information, and networks comes with an inherent risk to the organization and, therefore, it is expected that every person working for, or on behalf of, Mastercard is responsible for information security and must:
Abide by Mastercard’s security policies and practices;
Ensure the confidentiality and integrity of the information being accessed;
Report any suspected information security violation or breach, and
Complete all periodic mandatory security trainings in accordance with Mastercard’s guidelines.