Senior Cloud Engineer
The Onyx Research Data Platform organization represents a major investment by GSK R&D and Digital & Tech, designed to deliver a step-change in our ability to leverage data, knowledge, and prediction to find new medicines. We are a full-stack shop consisting of product and portfolio leadership, data engineering, infrastructure and DevOps, data / metadata / knowledge platforms, and AI/ML and analysis platforms, all geared toward:
- Building a next-generation data experience for GSK’s scientists, engineers, and decision-makers, increasing productivity, and reducing
time spent on “data mechanics”.
- Providing best-in-class AI/ML and data analysis environments to accelerate our predictive capabilities and attract top-tier talent
- Aggressively engineering our data at scale to unlock the value of our combined data assets and predictions in real-time
A Senior Cloud Engineer is a leading technical contributor who can consistently take a loosely defined business or technical requirement, architect and build it to a well-defined specification, and execute on it at a high level. They have a strong focus on quality of design and implementation, appreciating a pragmatic and well-reasoned approach. Most of all, they recognise the value of working collaboratively and promoting a positive mindset, with healthy ways of working.
As a Senior Cloud Engineer, you will play a crucial role in ensuring our product teams can produce reliable, scalable, and efficient applications. You will champion best approach and practices, with trust and security as your utmost goal. You will collaborate closely with internal and external partners to adopt latest technologies and practices that drive a culture of continuous improvement.
Key responsibilities for the Senior Cloud Engineer include:
- Design and deploy scalable and reliable cloud infrastructure solutions using Google Cloud Platform (GCP) managed services.
- Configure and optimize network architecture, including VPCs, subnets, firewalls, and load balancers, to ensure high availability, security, and performance.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to understand business requirements and translate them into scalable and efficient cloud infrastructure designs, looking for opportunities to share code and reduce maintenance burden.
- Provides input into the roadmap of teams representing upstream dependencies to help improve the overall program of work.
- Automate infrastructure provisioning and deployment processes using Infrastructure as Code (IaC) tools.
- Stay aligned with industry best practice in cloud infrastructure, continuously improving our architecture and security posture.
- Optimize resource utilization and cost management while maintaining governance and compliance standards.
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to junior team members, fostering a collaborative and knowledge-sharing culture.
- Troubleshoot and resolve infrastructure-related issues and provide technical support to internal teams.
We are looking for professionals with these required skills to achieve our goals:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Software engineering or related field
- 4+ years of relevant experience
- Cloud experience (e.g., Google Cloud, Azure, AWS), including infrastructure-as-code.
- Experience with CI/CD implementations, Cloud Build, GitHub Actions, or Azure DevOps.
- Experience with networking, virtualization, storage, containers, and serverless.
If you have the following characteristics, it would be a plus:
- Deep knowledge of at least one common programming language: e.g., Python, TypeScript, Go, Rust, including toolchains for documentation, testing, operations, and observability.
- Deep expertise in modern software development tools and ways of working (e.g., git/GitHub, DevOps tools, metrics / monitoring, …)
- Expertise of CI/CD implementations using git and a common CI/CD stack (e.g., Cloud Build, GitHub Actions, Azure DevOps).
- Experience of agile software development environments using tools like Jira and Confluence.
- Familiarity with tools, techniques, relevant to their specialization area, including engagement with open-source communities.
#GSKOnyxThe annual base salary for new hires in this position ranges from $153,000 to $207,000 taking into account a number of factors including work location, the candidate’s skills, experience, education level and the market rate for the role. In addition, this position offers an annual bonus and eligibility to participate in our share based long term incentive program which is dependent on the level of the role. Available benefits include health care and other insurance benefits (for employee and family), retirement benefits, paid holidays, vacation, and paid caregiver/parental and medical leave.
Please visit GSK US Benefits Summary to learn more about the comprehensive benefits program GSK offers US employees.
GSK is a global biopharma company with a special purpose – to unite science, technology and talent to get ahead of disease together – so we can positively impact the health of billions of people and deliver stronger, more sustainable shareholder returns – as an organization where people can thrive. Getting ahead means preventing disease as well as treating it, and we aim to positively impact the health of 2.5 billion people by the end of 2030.
Our success absolutely depends on our people. While getting ahead of disease together is about our ambition for patients and shareholders, it’s also about making GSK a place where people can thrive. We want GSK to be a workplace where everyone can feel a sense of belonging and thrive as set out in our Equal and Inclusive Treatment of Employees policy. We’re committed to being more proactive at all levels so that our workforce reflects the communities we work and hire in, and our GSK leadership reflects our GSK workforce.
If you require an accommodation or other assistance to apply for a job at GSK, please contact the GSK Service Centre at 1-877-694-7547 (US Toll Free) or +1 801 567 5155 (outside US).
GSK is an Equal Opportunity Employer and, in the US, we adhere to Affirmative Action principles. This ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, age, disability, genetic information, military service, covered/protected veteran status or any other federal, state or local protected class.
Important notice to Employment businesses/ Agencies
GSK does not accept referrals from employment businesses and/or employment agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site. All employment businesses/agencies are required to contact GSK's commercial and general procurement/human resources department to obtain prior written authorization before referring any candidates to GSK. The obtaining of prior written authorization is a condition precedent to any agreement (verbal or written) between the employment business/ agency and GSK. In the absence of such written authorization being obtained any actions undertaken by the employment business/agency shall be deemed to have been performed without the consent or contractual agreement of GSK. GSK shall therefore not be liable for any fees arising from such actions or any fees arising from any referrals by employment businesses/agencies in respect of the vacancies posted on this site.
Please note that if you are a US Licensed Healthcare Professional or Healthcare Professional as defined by the laws of the state issuing your license, GSK may be required to capture and report expenses GSK incurs, on your behalf, in the event you are afforded an interview for employment. This capture of applicable transfers of value is necessary to ensure GSK’s compliance to all federal and state US Transparency requirements. For more information, please visit GSK’s Transparency Reporting For the Record site.